You are here:   Forums
Register   |  Login

Please note that we only operate in England, Scotland and Wales. Birds going to be re-homed or safe housed must stay in one of these three countries 

Hotline: 0845 643 1785 *Open Mon to Fri 9am to 4.30pm. Sat 9am to 12.30. Closed Sundays. Emergencies only outside of these hours.

Make a donation to Birdline UK Parrot Rescue   -                      PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online.

Why not join Birdline? Membership is £25 a year and helps us continue our essential work. Join here now !

Important Announcement Minimize  

***IMPORTANT NOTICE*** - Birdline now have limited space to take additional birds into the charity. Managers will inform donors of any likely delay to the charity being able to take a bird in.

WARNING – Please Be Aware 

If you are looking to re-home your parrot, please always use a reputable Parrot Rescue Organisation.

Always check to ensure the organisation you wish to use is registered with an approved organisation such as ‘The Charities Commission’ or ‘Companies House’.

We do know of some so called ‘Parrot Rescues’ who are taking in birds, and then re-selling them despite what their web sites states.

***IMPORTANT NOTICE*** - Birdline now have limited space to take additional birds into the charity. Managers will inform donors of any likely delay to the charity being able to take a bird in.

WARNING – Please Be Aware

If you are looking to re-home your parrot, please always use a reputable Parrot Rescue Organisation.

Always check to ensure the organisation you wish to use is registered with an approved organisation such as ‘The Charities Commission’ or ‘Companies House’.

We do know of some so called ‘Parrot Rescues’ who are taking in birds, and then re-selling them despite what their web sites states.

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 22-10-2016 11:46 AM by  Doddie Kent
Nasal discharge
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Linda
Registered Users

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

--
19-10-2016 9:12 AM
    Hammy my Amazon is looking well, he is eating well, but every so often he has a clear discharge from one of his nostrils, what could be causing this?
    Of course I can talk, can you fly
    Doddie Kent
    Rescue Manager

Veteran Forum Member
    Veteran Forum Member

--
    19-10-2016 9:38 AM

This discharge could be caused by a number of things, best to take him to an Avian Vet. If you don't know of one near(ish) you, pm me, and I'll look on the Vet List, as I don't know where (what county) you're in.

Doddie

Linda
    Registered Users

New Forum Member
    New Forum Member

--
    20-10-2016 8:14 PM
    Tried to pm you but it won't let me I live in North Oxfordshire could it be the central heating as no discharge today and heating has been off
    Doddie Kent
    Rescue Manager

Veteran Forum Member
    Veteran Forum Member

--
    21-10-2016 8:45 AM
    Your nearest Avian Vet appears to be Bruce Maclean, Herp Vet Svcs, c/o Iffley Vets, OX4 1EA, 07754 125302. It could be just a minor infection, or lack of vitamin A or ... I'd take him to the vet asap. Good luck.
    Linda
    Registered Users

New Forum Member
    New Forum Member

--
    21-10-2016 10:28 AM
    Thanks for that I phoned up a more local vet who said they have an avian vet I think I may need plasters getting him into his travel cage
    Linda
    Registered Users

New Forum Member
    New Forum Member

--
    21-10-2016 4:40 PM
    News from vet heart sounds OK, lungs are clear but she gave me some antibiotics and suggested changing from seed diet to Harrison's.
    Doddie Kent
    Rescue Manager

Veteran Forum Member
    Veteran Forum Member

--
    21-10-2016 5:29 PM
    That looks like good news! Can you let me have the details of your vet so I could see if suitable to add to the vet list, please. Harrisons pellets are ok, but there are lots of makes of pellet to try. Not all birds take to Harrisons. Come to that, not all birds take to pellets.
    Doddie
    Linda
    Registered Users

New Forum Member
    New Forum Member

--
    22-10-2016 9:35 AM
    The vets is Hart's vets at Waddesdon the ladies name is Jenny Green phone No 01296 651000, the only problem is how do you get antibiotics into a parrot whose a fussy eater, I put some into a piece of tangerine which he ate half off, this morning put some into some apple which like wise he has eaten half off
    Doddie Kent
    Rescue Manager

Veteran Forum Member
    Veteran Forum Member

--
    22-10-2016 11:46 AM
    I get meds into birds on a teaspoon, mixed with baby food, you know, the kind you would buy for a baby to begin weaning. I buy from Tesco, it comes in a pouch, all different flavours, is resealable, and lives in the fridge. Hold the handle of the teaspoon, and offer the bowl with your mixture in it. Only 1/4 or at most 1/2 a teaspoon. You could use Ambrosia Creamed Rice, or porage, or anything sloppy. My birds get a nut at bedtime. I've been known to put drops on a favourite nut. Most antibiotics for birds taste pleasant, so shouldn't be a huge problem. Good luck.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site uses cookies to help deliver an engaging user experience. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience. By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit AboutCookies.org